I feel a need to write but haven’t a clue what to write about. So I decided to do a twist on the 10 random facts posts, and post about ten things I love.
1. Photography. This is a given, of course. But I just love how through photography you can capture a split second in time to hold on to it for many more years. You can use high speed photography to catch little, tiny things that happen so quickly you can’t see them with your eyes alone. You can use extended shutter photography to capture a sense of movement in a still image You can take virtually any subject, find it’s beauty, and capture it to share with the world if you so choose. There’s nothing else quite like it.
2. Lightning bugs. Yes, girly girl that I am, there are a couple bugs I like and do not consider “creepy crawlies”. Lightning bugs are among my favorite of the handful of insects that do not make me run and/or scream. There is just something so completely magical about sitting outside on a warm summer night under a blanket of stars watching thousands of lightning bugs dancing around in the night.
3. The moon. I don’t know why but I have always been fascinated by the moon. And not in the “We must go there and develop it” kind of way that some folks are fascinated by it. No. I think to try to develop the moon the way some people would like to would absolutely ruin it. I can’t pinpoint the reasons… all I know is that I adore the moon, and find few things as comforting at night as the moon.
4. Ice skating. Preferably alone or with just a handful of other people, as opposed to with a large crowd of strangers. I have always loved the sound of the steel blades slicing through the ice and find it strangely enchanting. I’m weird, I know.
5. Chocolate. I’m a woman. Enough said.
6. Reading. I believe I’ve already covered all the “why’s” in previous posts so I’ll leave it at that.
7. Being able to make someone else smile. It makes me happy knowing I can make someone else happy.
8. Walking barefoot on soft, squishy (clean) carpet. It’s just a nice little luxury, to me. Possibly because it’s not something I’ve ever been able to indulge in at home, where there’s no such thing as carpet. So when I am at someone’s house where there IS carpet… I tend to enjoy it.
9. Getting new kitchen gadgets and appliances. I might be a complete dork but it just makes me happy when I have something new to use in the kitchen. Be it a new toaster or a vegetable peeler or some other random thing that may or may not actually be necessary, it’s likely to put a smile on my face for at least a couple of weeks every time I use it.
10. Cake decorating. I’m not exactly artistically talented though I wish I were. But I think I have taught myself how to make some pretty good looking cakes. It’s nice to be able to make something pretty. And the fact that after admiring it I can eat it… well… you do the math.